Established in 1846 by Louis Rueger, the hotel was primarily a bootlegging saloon that offered rooms for intoxicated clientele who were unable to drive their carriages home. The old black and white photographs displayed throughout the lobby and hallways serve as a vivid reminder of more humble days when the hotel was named Rueger's and stood only three stories high.
During the Civil War, when Richmond fell to the Union Army, the warehouses along the James River were set ablaze to avoid their falling into enemy hands. The winds swept the flames up Ninth Street and hotel Reuger was burned to the ground.
The Capitol was unharmed by the fire. The hotel did not re-open it's doors until almost 50 years later when it was rebuilt in 1912 as a 10 story structure. In 1956 an 11th floor was added.
It was in 1982 that a Virginia developer saw the potential of the old Rueger's building and bought the hotel. It was at this time he gutted the 123 room interior to create 59 very spacious one and two room suites. Only the small elevators were left intact to maintain the atmosphere of a small European Hotel.
Recent renovations included modern amenities while retaining the historic charm of the hotel. Guests enjoy the privacy and comfort of spacious suites some overlooking the State Capitol Park, which is filled with Southern Magnolia trees and roses. Gracious Southern Hospitality resides at the corner of 9th and Bank Streets in Downtown Richmond Virginia.
Come and stay with us at The Historic Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel
and let us make your stay a memorable one.